Thursday, September 20, 2007

Craving for attention

I live with my grandparents in kl.... i'm going to talk about my grandma in this post...

Jus let me give you an insight of my grandmamma…My grandmamma? She is not your average grandma who wears matching floral taylor made suits, and has this weird old folks smell, or wears taichi shoes….my grandma wears T-shirt and Bermuda shorts daily. she loves wearing thong slippers...and enjoys putting vitamin-E in her hair... She paints her toenails in red or pink and she would request me to decorate her toe-nails with all the 3D nail arts that I bought…. ( oh yeah, she’s more funky than me.. seriously!)

Her hobby? She goes up to Genting to help Uncle Lim pay his electricity bills…her favourite ?? the roulette ……

Her job? Playing mahjong of course….with newly done painted nails by me.. so that she can show off her fellow colleague...i mean her fellow friends...….old people, they still crave for attention.. my grandma would never failed to amused me…

Ok, bac to my story…

last week since 10th August 2007, my grandmamma fall sick, at first it was jus the typical fever- no appetite to eat, then it stretch on to Friday which I suspected that it was dengue. After my uncle took her to see the doc, it was confirmed that it is not dengue , because she is much older therefore it takes a little more time to recover. She looks much merrier that day after “her son” ( my uncle) brought her to see the doc.

But since yesterday, she was still complaining bone aching, stomach cramps, headache, no appetite to eat and whining all the way. I cant take it and I started to call all my uncles…… because I knew only “ my grandma’s son” can cheer her up..

( translated to English)

1st call

Me : hey, grandma is not well yet, so r u coming to see her again?

3rd uncle : aiyar, she is so big, sure will ok la, stomach cramp will go away, I busy la..see tomorrow how first

Me: = _ = ’

2nd call

Me : hellow..hellow….HELLO…. grandma is not well, so r u coming to see her again? ( heard background music and loud people talking)

1st uncle : yo, yo , yo....wasssupp…….

Me: grandma is not well, so r u coming to see her again?

1st uncle : why dun u give her a hug ? or do some massage for her la...i'm so the very busy

Me : = _ = ’ …….. hug cannot cure her la

1st uncle : what makes u think that my presence can cure…..@$%^%&^&….she jus want attention la..$%%^^&**….anything else ma u wanna say..i busy la...^*&^@$@

Me: = _ = ’ …fine

And so I give up, I gave up calling my uncles because after the 2nd call, I was jus plain pissed off……

on the other hand, it makes me wonder how much my grandma would go the distance to make her son’s come to see her….but what is more remarkable is that my uncles understand my grandma more than my she understand them… and they knew that my grandmamma was jus craving for attention.

6 comments:

Ryudiculous said...

Hmm... I do agree that the elderly want attention, but I also believe that they also need attention because without attention, they get sad and depressed and this would lead to a weaker immune system and thus more likely to get sick...
So, while your grandmamma may just be craving for attention, giving it to her may just help prevent future illness :)

Just my 2 cents worth ^^

narrowband said...

Your grandmama very cute. But thats understandable... some elderly people don't act it out but they in fact really want the attention... It's amazing how they keep it in their heart without expressing it out, assuming that their children will not give her the attention she wants anyway... Sad case...

tanalan2 said...

Yeah yeah..dont u feel that sometimes old peeps are more like children ??? But anyway feel sorry for your grandma , maybe she feels lonely or long to see her sons. So sweetie, you should spend more time with her ( before its too late ). I never spend much time with my grandmalst time..and I regretted it now. We;; hope that my children wont treat me like that in the future!! Send my hugs and warmest regards to her ok ??

tanalan2 said...

Opps typo error ..should read " I never spend much time with my grandma last time..and I regretted it

Anonymous said...

Ooo... ur grandma might feel lonely therefore wanna see all her sons, beside she might not so well. just like my grandma last time when she sick nobody come to my house for a visit. but keep sometime for ur grandma. Wish ur grandma recover fast.

niss.. said...

[-r-k] agree that grandmamma is jus craving for attention, so as everyone rite?

[narrowband] ya, my grandmama is such a charmer isn't she?

[tanalan2] my grandma is much better now, dun worry about the future, it will work its way

[darren] yeah, my grandma is recovering....