Wednesday, March 21, 2007

To work or not to work?

Recently, a colleague in my office wanted to quit her job, not because her job was tedious or her pay was little. I think it’s probably their communication between her n her superior, or so to say her boss. Although, I have not work here long enough to understand her boss, or to understand my colleague, but I think (HER BOSS).is nice and she’s a very generous or maybe because I’m not under her, therefore I have no right to say anything.

My colleague is actually very hardworking but I think her superior has no clue on how to guide n nurture her with the right words and attitude. And knowing that she would be leaving, the company would have to recruit new people again , because obviously her superior could not work without her but then again she would not stay for whatsoever reason. I think it would be a great loss for both of them, and the company.

You see, everytime the company losses a staff, the company spends money on advertisement which could actually cost a lot. Advertisement is NOT CHEAP! THEN, the boss would waste their time trying to go through interviews which could be tedious. After that, choosing the right person would also be a headache to match their remuneration package. After the person in being hired, the recruits would need to under go training. And there you go, the list goes on when other benefits needs to be considered. There is where my boss comes in the picture; he would ask me how much the cost would be and how much time we would need to recruit a new person. Saying too much money would waste company resources saying too little time would show my in-efficiency…

Having said that, all my colleagues would think that MY BOSS is a super nice person, but then again, working for him could really make u stress out. I think bosses that are already in their level and being very comfortable often forget their leadership skills and training. They have big egos and would bully their staff. (PS: I’m not being bully by my boss incase you are wondering)

Or perhaps I do feel that I’m lack of learning opportunities. My boss often feels that sending me for training would be a waste of time and money. But he does not realize that, it is the only way to show that he actually care about my future development and would also help the company to be more professional. Or perhaps he jus feel that he would not want to develop me which in return makes sense because I would not work for him forever. But then again, it would only cause a high turn over in the company and nobody would really care.

So, I could not blame my colleague if she had chosen to leave. It will be a great loss for both the company and her. She lost a job that would give her good prospect; the company loss a good worker that in return would benefit the company in the long run. And as for me??
I’m contented with what I have now, having to face work everyday would not be the most difficult, I think the most difficult is how we juggle with life everyday….

1 comment:

voch said...

Like the saying, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." I'm guessing she sees better opportunities elsewhere so it's really hard to blame someone on their harsh decisions. I guess the complexity of office politics happens all the time. Anyways, good luck!