Tuesday, July 24, 2007

What simple gestures can do!

Before I post my updated on my perhentian trip, I jus wanna share something that happen last weekend when I was on my way back to my hometown. Its actually a short story but very lengthy. Enjoy………

It was a usual Saturday, and I left for PD at 2.30 pm from KL after work and lunch. I took a public transport because I was going solo and there was no point driving. It was drizzling when I was on my way, the weather got worse and was raining cats and dogs when I approach Seremban. I arrived the Terminal at 3.45pm which is close to 4 pm.

I boarded the express bus From Seremban to PD. I took a front seat on the right, which is behind the drivers seat. Since, it was already raining heavily, everyone got on the bus very quickly and soon the bus was packed with people. Not only it was full, people were merely standing and there were all sorts of aroma. ( you know what I mean) when the lift up their arm to hold the rail. Omg!! I can jus die there….And if you guys are clear about the route, the driver will take the trunk road instead of the highway. Which he will sway from left to right and vice versa thus encouraging more people to lift their arm up to let u enjoy their perfume….

The usual bus driver is an Indian, and he would drive like a mad man. anyone who boards the bus knows that..We were halfway after mambau and he took a sharp cornering before he came to a stall. From what I saw, the front route was already flooded, it was like crossing a river infront… the monsoon drain at both sides had overflow and many cars took a 3-point angle to turn back. The road too...was merely flooded both sides leaving only less than 9 feet wide.

It was utterly, totally, impossible for a bus to take a U-turn. This bus was HUGE... The weather outside were cold, and there was a great fog on the driver's screen. I could see that drops of sweat dripping from his head to his neck. you could see that he ran out of idea... He took the towel at the rear of his steering, first to wipe his head, then to wipe the screen and then to wipe his neck,……… EEEWWWWW…..!!!! and then he switch off the air-cond!!! because he was getting angry with the FOG...

He tried to maneuvered the bus backward (reverse), but he could NOT see behind, so he maneuvered the BUS using his instinct, it was already dangerous to drive when its raining, what more driving backward with cars coming from the other direction.

IT WAS TOTAL MADNESS!!

No one in the bus offered to help, everyone were jus complaining because he had switched-off the air-cond, not one soul offer to get down from the bus to guide the driver to reverse the bus because it was raining outside.

i observed that the passenger inside were jus starring at the driver, expecting the driver to perform a MIRACLE to get them out..fast, fast!

I sense the driver was also confused. he could not possibly reverse when there were incoming cars driving into his direction. it will jus cause accident!

i could see sweats trickling down from his head wetting his collar. And then it struck me that passenger in the bus were jus selfish, despite that everyone was eager to get home, no one is willing to help.

Frustrated, the bus driver got down from the bus and seek for help, many drivers in their luxury perodua, Toyota and local cars were honking at him because they thought the driver was on a rampage and the bus were obstructing traffic. Only after that, when they overtook the bus that they knew, they could not drive further, thus all the vehicles turn back giving cold stare to the driver who was already wet and pitiful.

Alas, a courier van had came to rescue when he saw what had happened. The driver of the courier van was a malay, he did not see what skin colour the bus driver was nor did he care if it was raining heavily. He made a quick move by parking his car vertically stopping incoming vehicles so that the bus driver would be able to reverse his bus without any hassle. The malay chap also diverted incoming vehicles to turn back indicating that there was a flood.

Finally, the bus driver managed to maneuver the bus and found a little more extra space to reverse and drive away. He waved to the chap who had helped him and we were on our way home, only using the alternate route of Siliau; which took another hour to reach home sweet home.

Anyways, I reached home at 6+, more than my usual time. My mum freaked out when I told her the story and she too.. cursed the driver, what I did not tell her that if it wasn’t for the malay chap, we all may reached home even later. Then again, I was also another stranger who sat in the bus and did nothing. As I sat in the passenger seat in my mum’s car watching the drops of rain splattering the glass window ,I jus thought how simple gestures could make a very big impact to the bus driver and was jus glad that I reached home safely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know that it is illegal to divert the traffic if you're not a policeman? He he

Malaysians ma kan... Semua boleh :P

niss.. said...

i think the word illegal does not exist vic, as long as you have some $$$$, anything can go.....

Anonymous said...

quite an interesting story there ...

I can imagine the faces of everyone in the bus just waiting for something to happen.

yes, niss is rite, with duit kopi, anything can go ^_^