Friday, August 10, 2007

What is your sense of smell?

I’m supposed to be in bed by this time, cause i need to get up early for work...but, but, but.. I took a day of for tomorrow because of the hectic schedule that I was working for the past previous Saturday. So here am I now at my parents house getting used to my brother’s pc to put this post up..

As I freshen up to get to bed 5 mins ago, I realized that I did not brought the bag which I has all my moisturizer and toner in..

.damn....

so I dash into my mums room and get hold of anything which I knew I can make use off..

As I stared into my mum’s dressing table mirror, and slab on some night cream, I saw a reflection of myself becoming more like my mum...

(snap) * shakes head frantically

suddenly, I began to remember how I was, when I was kid , barely even at my mum’s waist, I used to see her from the reflection of the mirror, the same one that she is till using now, I vividly remember how she used the put the creams on her face….. and how I love the smell…( my mum's smell & the mixture of it) thats the smell of my mum with the creams that she put on her face…....I would tip toes on my tiny feet, and my eyes will briefly scan through the container that my mum use because i was so short and i could barely see the surface of the dressing table... and my little finger would stretch jus to touch the container….being mischievous, my mum would then dab a little on my nose and my forehead and how I would mimic her even as she strokes her finger on her face and she would jus fringe a little so that the cream would absorbed in.

Fast forward 20 years and I’m now in front of my mum’s dressing table, doing exact same thing that she does most of the night and even now…

Well, maybe a little more extra moisturizer my mum uses now..such as anti-aging, eye cream, serum and so much more than keeps me wondering that she is still the same mum that I knew her 24 years ago… memories start flashes before me and I knew it…..

“hey, those are anti-anging cream la..u old already meh?” my mum spoke as she entered the room

“no-la , I didn’t use..jus experimenting only….”

And before I left , I opened the container again that says “night cream” and smell it before I left her room..

Somehow, sometimes, No matter where you are, an what are you doing, and how far life has brought u, there a certain things that will always be remembered and will not be erased from our memory, like the “sense of smell”… it can always give u a certain memories that you have been thru whether sweet or sour, good or bad…and it makes you travel back, remembering the exact time and places….where the exact smell makes you recall your most fondest memories.....what is your memories of sense today?

5 comments:

auseniale said...

haha
tat time u were short...
now also short wat =P hahaha

narrowband said...

I can actually relate to this. I used to think about this and wanted to write on my blog too. But it seems now you've beaten me to it.

My grandma used to apply some kinda powder on her which I can't remember how it smells like. But when I do come across the same scent again, I am sure I will be able to recognize it. (I can't recall, but I can recognize). Cuz there was once I smelled it somewhere and immediately it reminded me of her.

Your description provided me a different perspective - You painted what it's like to grow up as a girl. It's interesting :).

niss.. said...

[laine]..the terms is petite darhhling!! anyways..way cuter than you...

[narrowband]..u can still write about it...post it up...i'm sure its different to grow up as a guy..;)

Anonymous said...

the sense of smell can really bring memories back.

for example, in my shared student house now , the smelly toilet , the smelly kitchen. urghhh ...

also worth mentioning is the smell of a comfort pillow. it's very comfortable .. ^_^

niss.. said...

i wish i could write more about my mama's room and her smel..haha, being bac home brings bac many memories